John George Saddington
The son of John and Alice Saddington, J.G. was born on the 12th April 1868 and he was baptised on 2nd August 1868 at Exton, Rutland.
John received an “exhibition” (scholarship) of £10 which enabled him to leave the National School and go to Grantham Grammar school. He played football for the Grammar school and was picked by the local newspaper report as an excellent back.
The newspapers show that John played for Grantham in January 1885 away to Notts Rangers. In August 1885 he was elected onto the committee of the St. Wolfran’s Rovers Football Club. He also played for the cricket team, St. Wolfran’s Crusaders and also played cricket for Grantham Y.M.C.A. in 1889.
Was at Toton Nottinghamshire as a Horse driver in 1890. The railway records show he was 5 feet 5 1/2 inches tall.
His first reported football game for Grantham Rovers was in October 1885 against Bottesford Town. It appears that he did not play regularly in a very strong Grantham Rovers side. John did not feature against Luton Town in the final of the 1890 Kettering Charity Cup Final or the replay. Unable to get into the side he was persuaded to try his luck with the Straw Plaiters. At the time of the 1891 census he was a Railway Porter and lodging at 68 Wenlock Street, Luton.
John was a back but also featured as a half-back in the 1890/91 season. That was his only season with the club. It seems marriage may have rudely interrupted his playing career as he married Annie Kershaw on 14th September 1891 in Grantham. At the time John was living in Islington and Annie from Spittlegate, Lincoln.
The Grantham Journal of 24th June 1893 reported the death at Spittlegate of their daughter Alice Edith on the 23rd, aged 3 months. He is described as a railway porter.
The 1901 census show John as a Railway passenger Guard and living in Wakefield, Yorkshire, with Annie and their daughters Gladys, 5 and Daisy aged 2.
The 1911 Census shows that he was living with his father in Grantham at 29 Wharf Road. He was a licensed victualler and was assisted by Annie.
Returned to his old Grammar school in August 1934 to give a recital.