James Herbert Gill
Born in early 1863 in March, Cambridgeshire and baptised on the 22nd February 1863.
Started as a pupil at St. George’s School in Brampton, Huntingdonshire in the Summer of 1878. All quotes are from the St. George’s School newsletter.
In 1882 he began to study at London University. The following year James played in a St. George’s School football match Past v Present in the “past” team.
He gained an Intermediate B.A. at London 1st Class in 1884.
1885 saw James played for Norfolk County F.C. v Old Westminsters on December 5th. He played cricket for St. George’s School and tennis and donated subscriptions and prizes to the Sports Committee. Joined the school band as a violinist. Continued to study at London University.
Was in the School football team and his profile describes him as an;
“Excellent half-back, sure and strong kick, with good staying powers, always in the right place.”
“Uniforms were Pink and white shirt faced with red, S. George’s cross on breast, red skull cap with white tassel, and S. George’s cross in front.”
The following year James continued to play football, cricket and was time keeper for the Athletics. In 1887 he left to teach in Kimbolton.
James returned to St. George’s School in 1890 as a new master “1st B.A. London (O.G.) is taking work again this term.” Played football, Cricket, Quoits, was involved in the school entertainment.
Played full back for Lynn v Norwich Thorpe in the final of the Norfolk Cup which they won 3 1.
Made his debut for Luton Town on the 11th October 1890 in the home defeat to Great Marlow. His appearances in the first team appear to have been very few and his last game was on the 29th November 1890 against Old St. Mark’s on the Dallow Lane ground.
He continued to played football and in 1891 he played for Lynn against Yarmouth in the Norfolk County semi-final. The St. George’s School magazine mentions that he “holds a temporary mastership at Kettering.”
In 1911 he was a school master in Kettering where he lived with his mother and sister. He died in Kettering in 1912.
Sue Mitchell at St. George’s School, Harpenden for her very generous help.